The History of St Andrew's Church

The present church is built in the Gothic or ‘pointed’ style, and was likely built in the late 14th Century. It is believed to have been built on the site of a Norman church, which may have fallen into decay during the Black Death.

Niche in the east wall of the church

The Lych Gate was built in 1911 in commemoration of the Coronation of King George V. Lych gates originally served to give shelter to the bearers at a funeral when awaiting a priest.

In medieval times the church porch played host to much civil business. The Coroner’s Court was held there, executors of wills made public payments of legacies, and property transactions were carried out. The niche in the East wall is likely an artefact of these times. It would have housed a crucifix over a portable altar, which would have been used by witnesses taking an oath, or by those completing a contract.




Rood stairs

In medieval times almost all churches had a Rood screen, a carved wooden screen separating the Nave from the Chancel. While the Rood was destroyed at the reformation, the Rood staircase is still visible in the North East corner of the South Aisle.







Squint

The squint allowed worshippers seated in the South Aisle to observe the priest at the altar. It is possible that before the South Aisle was built the squint served to allow lepers to witness the service without entering the building.



The pulpit is made from oak dating from 1629, which formerly formed part of the frame holding the church bells. The panels were carved by a previous vicar, as are the panels behind the altar.

PulpitAltar


Stained Glass Windows

In 1855 a Crucifixion window was installed in the East Window, above the altar. In 1942, however, an enemy bomb fell 100 yards from the east of the church. No lives were lost, but the window was damaged beyond repair. Today only the head of the Madonna remains from the original window. The present ‘Ascension’ window was created by Mr Stammers of York in 1949. 








The Pilgrim’s Progress window in the north wall of the nave was presented to the church in 1949. It too was created  by Mr Stammers, and illustrates Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress















The ‘Constance Conway’ window in the south wall of the chancel commemorates the youngest daughter of a former headmaster of Weymouth College, who was closely linked with the parish. 















The ‘Margaret Coddington’ window shows St Margaret, the virgin and martyr (left), and St Margaret, wife of Malcolm Canmore, King of Scots (right). It was placed by Rev. C. W. Coddington, in memory of his wife.