The History of St Nicholas Church, Buckland Ripers

The medieval building was destroyed by fire and the Church - which consists only of a nave and chancel mostly dates to 1655.

In 1310 Peter de Malore was living in Buckland Ripers Manor. He built the church (parts of which remain) and instated the first rector, a John Lawrence. By 1360 the estate had passed to the Framptons, who have remained patrons of the church to the present day.

During the Civil War the Manor, associated buildings and the church were partly destroyed. James Brampton started to rebuild the ruins in 1655 but died before the work was completed and was buried in the church. The chancel, font and rear wall predate the damage. The rear wall was rebuilt in the 1980s, with funds raised mostly by local effort. The chalice and paten are of 1663.

While many parts of the Manor and its properties have been modified or replaced, some of the Manor’s medieval ambiance has been tenuously retained in the immediate vicinity of the original buildings and of the church.

This is an abridged version of the information available on www.theweytojesus.org.uk. To read the full information please visit www.theweytojesus.org.uk.
Comments